Online Application for Open Burning Permits
Hampshire and Hampden Counties
Permits are only issued between 8:30 AM and 1:00 PM.
Massachusetts allows residents to burn brush between January 15 and May 1, depending on weather conditions. You must obtain permission from the town in which you plan to burn brush.
Some towns in Hampshire and Hampden Counties offer burning permits through this site. If you are burning in these towns, you can visit this site between 8:30 AM and 1:00 PM to obtain a permit on the day you want to burn brush. Permit availability on a given day will depend on weather conditions.
- You may only burn BRUSH! All other materials are illegal. No leaves, grass, hay, stumps, building debris or any other materials are allowed to be burned.
- All open burning must be a minimum of 75 feet from buildings or structures.
- Burning will be allowed to start at 10:00am and must be extinguished by 4pm.
- Any open fire must be attended at all times by the permit holder.
- No person shall set, maintain or increase a fire in open air at any time except by permission.
- You must be 18 years or older to apply for a permit and/or set, maintain or increase a fire once permission has been granted by the Fire Department.
- You must have an appropriate means to extinguish an open air fire completely at the end of the day or if requested by the Fire Department.
- The Fire Department can refuse or cancel a permit at any time. (Example: Violation of permit regulations, or change in weather conditions.)
- Open burning season is January 15 - May 1.
- Massachusetts Regulation 310 CMR: DEP 7.07 "Open Burning"
- More information from the Massachusetts DEP.
How to obtain a permit
Obtain a daily permit online, if you are burning brush in one of the following towns:
- Belchertown (You must first register with the town. See note below)
The remaining towns in Hampshire and Hampden Counties do not use this system. Please contact your town directly for additional information.
Registration with Belchertown
Before using this site, Belchertown residents should visit the fire department and pay a $10 fee that covers the entire burning season.
The fire department will then issue a registration number that will allow you to use this site on a day-to-day basis.
You may pay the fee by visiting the fire department between 8am to 2pm on weekdays, and between 9am and Noon on Saturdays. The fire department is located at 10 North Main Street.
You must have internet access and a valid email address to use this system. If problems with this website prevent you from obtaining a permit, you can also request a permit over the phone. To request a permit,
- In Belchertown, call the fire department at 413-323-7571.
- In Goshen, contact the fire department at 413-268-7161. Follow the
prompts to reach the voicemail box, and leave your name, address, and
phone number, along with a message expressing your need to start a
fire. You will receive a call back from the fire department who will
inspect your brush pile.
- In Williamsburg, call 413-340-1114 prior to the
day you would like to burn and leave your name, address and phone number, along with a brief message.
Someone from the fire department will return your call.
- In Hampden, call (413) 566-3314.
Questions? Email email@example.com.
If you have problems using this system, please contact your town directly to obtain a permit.
Fire Department Log In